Thursday, June 13, 2013

How to load an overhead camper, onto a truck, that has no engine............

We have this huge overhead camper...that we loved......

Back when the truck was still running.
But the truck died :( & we bought a new truck, that unfortunately has a 6.5 foot box.  This camper is a whopping 16 feet long - it has a 2.5 foot overhang, the 8 feet on the box, & 6 feet over the cab!  It weighs 3000lbs loaded.  Very comfortable to sleep in, but not practical with todays trucks.  We had the camper parked here for about a year.  In my parents yard in the country, so we could sleep in it while we visited.


Here is the problem, see that rock in the background with the picnic table on it?  In 3 weeks my Brother will be getting married on that rock!  The camper must be moved....today.
Here is where the hillbilly came out in my Dad & my Husband...First they towed the truck to just in front of the camper (see the cable attached to the tractor with the blue bucket at the extreme right of the photo?)


The cable goes from the tractor, to a pulley (attached to 2 trees) under the camper, under the saw horses holding the camper up, and attached to the truck.  As my Father backs up the tractor, it pulls the truck back & hopefully under the camper.


Not that I don't trust these guys...but I seriously had horrible visions of the camper toppling over, and crushing someone...or the dogs.  The cable did rub on the saw horses a bit, but the guys just put a block of wood on the cable to weigh it down.  They were eventually successful at loading it.


Now we just had to move the truck & camper to its new destination......


For some reason My dad felt the need to go 60mph across the yard....


Then door flew open, and neither of them were the wiser....



My Dad drove up the driveway, & gunned it!  Then turned sharp while my Hubby slammed the brakes when we got to the bush.  My palms were so sweaty from the whole ordeal...but they did it! (i forgot to take a photo of its new home)


Here is the "rock" ready for the wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment